Start / Finish – Shift 4
This is where the Effort STARTS, and where the Goal is REALIZED … and you will be an important part of it!! A well organized start is critical. As Mary Poppins says “Well Begun is Half Done”. Under the direction of an experienced Start/Finish Line Crew Director, you will be performing the following roles as a group:
1. Overseeing the organized line-up of the participants at the start. Each participant will be assigned to a certain corral by letter, and the volunteers will be monitoring this and helping participants get into their correct corral. (1st shift only)
2. Doing it again for the start of the 5K which takes place at 8:15am (45 minutes after the start of the Full and Half).
3. Preparing the finish line in anticipation of the finishers coming in.
4. Being watching of medical needs for participants as they cross the finish line. Our Medical will be there to oversee medical issues, but everyone should be looking for medical concerns!
5. Handing out finisher medals to the participants in the finishers chute.
6. Handing out bottled water to participants in the finishers chute.
7. Mixing up PowerAde and handing out cups of PowerAde to participants in the finishers chute.
8. Handing out Fruit and Snacks to participants in the finishers chute.
9. Removing the timing chips from participant’s shoes at the end of the finishers chute.
10. Directing participants to the Gear Check tent, Results tent, and Finish on Fourth after-race party … all of which are just beyond the end of the finishers chute.
11. At the end of the day, help with the breakdown and cleanup of the Finish Line area.
Most importantly for this role – congratulating the finishers and sharing in on their fun. This is very often a life-altering experience and they want people who are excited and sharing the moment with them. You are not just handing them a banana, you are sharing a moment when them that in many cases they will remember for the rest of their lives – understand this and consider it a privilege that by volunteering at the finish line you will be a part of that!
Current Terms and Conditions:
Volunteer Waiver Form
I know that volunteering at a road race is a potentially hazardous activity which could cause injury or death. I will not enter and participate unless I am medically able and properly trained, and by my submission, I certify that I am medically able to perform this event, and am in good health, and I am properly trained. I agree to abide by any decision of a race official to deny or suspend my participation for any reason whatsoever. I assume all risks associated with volunteering at this event, including but not limited to: falls, contact with participants, the effects of the weather, including high heat and /or humidity, traffic and the conditions of the road, all such risks being known and appreciated by me. I understand that bicycles, skateboards, baby joggers, roller skates or roller blades, animals, and headsets are not allowed at the race and I will abide by this guideline. Having read this waiver and knowing these facts and consideration of your accepting my entry, I, for myself and anyone entitles to act on my behalf, waive and release the Mill Race Marathon, the city of Columbus, IN and all sponsors, their representatives and successors from all claims or liabilities of any kind arising out of my participation in this event, even though that liability may arise out of negligence or carelessness on the part of the persons named in this waiver and volunteer submission.
I grant permission to all foregoing to use my photographs, motion pictures, recordings or any other record of this event for any legitimate purpose.
Sign Up to Volunteer
We're sorry, but we're no longer accepting new volunteers for this opportunity.